100 questions & answers about managing your cholesterol, editors, Vera A. Bittner, Anne C. Goldberg ; contributors, Lynn Cofer-Chase ... [et al.]The Resource 100 questions & answers about managing your cholesterol, editors, Vera A. Bittner, Anne C. Goldberg ; contributors, Lynn Cofer-Chase ... [et al.]
- 100 questions & answers about managing your cholesterol, editors, Vera A. Bittner, Anne C. Goldberg ; contributors, Lynn Cofer-Chase ... [et al.]
- Statement of responsibility
- editors, Vera A. Bittner, Anne C. Goldberg ; contributors, Lynn Cofer-Chase ... [et al.]
- Includes index
- Bibliography note
- Includes bibliographical references and index
- Contributors -- Foreword -- Acknowledgments -- Part 1: Basics: -- Questions 1-12 introduce the basics of managing your cholesterol: -- What is cholesterol? -- What causes your blood level of LDL (bad) cholesterol to rise? -- What should my lipid goals be? -- Part 2: Cholesterol And Atherosclerosis: -- Questions 13-14 explain how to protect against the dangers of atherosclerosis: -- Why is atherosclerosis dangerous? -- How do lipoproteins contribute to or protect against atherosclerosis? -- Part 3: Risk Factors For High Cholesterol And Heart Disease: -- Questions 15-25 discuss common risk factors associated with high cholesterol and heart disease: -- What is my risk for having heart disease or a heart attack? -- How do risk factors help to decide how to treat cholesterol? And how aggressively should we be treating it? -- I recognize that I have a high risk for heart disease-are my children also at risk? -- Part 4: Diagnosis And Testing: -- Questions 26-33 explain how high cholesterol is diagnosed: -- When and how often should I have my cholesterol checked? -- Who can evaluate and treat my cholesterol levels? -- How can I find a "lipidologist?" -- Part 5: Ways To Improve Your Cholesterol: -- Questions 34-35 provide recommendations for how to improve your cholesterol: -- What options do I have to improve my cholesterol? -- How do we know that lifestyle changes affect atherosclerosis? -- Part 6: Managing Your Cholesterol By Diet: -- Questions 36-48 discuss how to make diet choices that will help you manage your cholesterol: -- Can I lower my cholesterol with diet alone? -- What types of fats are there? -- How do I know whether I am eating too much? -- Part 7: Managing Your Cholesterol With Physical Activity/Exercise: -- Questions 49-54 explain how regular exercise can improve cholesterol levels: -- What type of physical activity is best for reducing cholesterol and triglycerides? -- How much exercise or physical activity should I do to manage my cholesterol? -- What is considered moderate versus vigorous physical activity? -- Part 8: Managing Your Cholesterol With Medications: -- Questions 55-84 provide important information about common medications used to mange cholesterol: -- What are statins and how do they work? -- I have heard that ezetimibe is an alternative to statins that can lower my cholesterol just as well-what is ezetimibe and how does it work? -- What is niacin (nicotinic acid) and how does it work? -- Part 9: Cholesterol Lowering Dietary Supplements: -- Questions 85-100 list what to consider when using a dietary supplement to lower your cholesterol: -- Should I consider taking dietary supplements? -- What are stanols and sterols? -- Does garlic lower cholesterol? -- Appendix: Cholesterol and cardiovascular disease risk -- Glossary -- Index
- Control code
- 23 cm.
- xii, 121 p.
- System control number
ContextContext of 100 questions & answers about managing your cholesterol, editors, Vera A. Bittner, Anne C. Goldberg ; contributors, Lynn Cofer-Chase ... [et al.]
Embeddable Data (Experimental)
Copy and paste the following HTML fragment to include the corresponding data into your application
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the above code fragment to best match your specific application requirements.
Processing Feedback ...
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Muskegon Area District Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.